Monday, January 28, 2013

#SNAPchallenge2013: Takeaway Week, Day 4 (Give a Little Bit (More))

Giving Tuesday, a holiday of selflessness to combat the materialism of Black Friday, was held the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Did you give?

My apologies for the radio silence on the challenge, folks. Things have been particularly busy, but I'm trucking right along and have four days to go on the challenge! I can't believe I've been doing it for nearly a month already! More recaps and reflection are yet to come (into February, based on my timeline), but I wanted to write about one really important takeaway from the month.

I've given a lot of thought to what I'll do once February hits and I go back to my standard operating procedure. How am I going to keep the lessons of this challenge close at hand? Sure, I'll have a better idea of the struggle that so many go through, but I can already tell that isn't going to be enough. Ultimately, I decided I want to give more. Not just give money, but time and effort.

As a newly licensed driver to the state of Massachusetts, I have the ability to overcome a few transportation challenges that I couldn't navigate before. Among the first of those challenges will be my ability to get myself to Greater Boston Food Bank on a fairly regular basis to help. I got so much out of volunteering at Second Harvest of the Big Bend when I was in Tallahassee, and I've missed that here in Boston. I plan to incorporate that regular volunteerism into my life up here, and am so excited to get to work again.

Another way I want to give is through patronage of Panera Cares. The fifth location of this Panera Bread concept is designed with a "pay what you can" model in mind. Suggested donation levels are given, and those who can afford to pay, do; those that can't are still able to eat. While many have expressed skepticism about the sustainability of such a model, I truly believe that the enthusiasm around it will help it to do what it is aiming to do. What's more, I plan to be one of the people who pays what they can, and then some. I'm good for it, and it will help someone else. While they were closed when I got there today, I hope to return and support the wonderful work they're doing there.

As you can imagine from my decision to dedicate a month of my life to the cause of combating food insecurity, this is an issue that I care about deeply. And I can tell you right now, my quest to understand and support this cause is far from over. I just won't be bugging you for money every day to support it after the end of the month :)

That said, I only have four days to go! Help me finish strong?

I'm doing this in hopes to raise awareness about food instability, and money for the Greater Boston Food Bank. Should you feel compelled to give to the latter, please click the link below! I thank you, as will those who benefit from the money that you give :)
http://www.crowdrise.com/SNAPchallenge0113/ 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment