Tuesday, January 22, 2013

#SNAPchallenge2013: Crunching Week 3 Numbers

Trader Joe's Bounty!
Week 3 was a fun one, because it allowed me to go to Trader Joe's. I love Trader Joe's. And because most of Florida is not yet able to sample its delightful bounty, getting to go is still a novelty for me. 

Beyond being affordable, it's great to find a grocery store that is so conscious of the product that they put out, and actively caters to a gluten sensitive or gluten free lifestyle. It has made living that way so much easier, and I always look forward to seeing what new things they have that I can eat with ease.

Anyhow, on to the results of this week's trip!

Breakfast: Honey Nut Trader Joe O's with Almond Milk (bonus of Trader Joe O's- while processed on similar equipment to wheat products, which doesn't tend to bother me, they do not contain gluten. Cheerios do!)

Honey Nut Trader Joe O's ($0.31/serving)
Trader Joe's Original Smooth Almond Milk ($0.21/serving)
1 banana ($0.19/each)
TOTAL: $0.71 

Lunch: "Greek" Salad with Cottage Cheesegarbanzo beans ($0.13/serving)
cucumber ($0.41/serving)
tomato ($0.13/serving)
avocado ($0.14/serving)
yellow pepper ($0.20/serving)
cottage cheese ($0.28/serving)
salt
pepper
TOTAL: $1.29 

Dinner: Shrimp "Accidental Arrabiata" (so called because I accidentally got the tomatoes with the chiles in them) shrimp ($0.50/serving)
gluten free corn pasta ($0.20/serving)
canned tomatoes ($0.24/serving)   
TOTAL: $0.94


I'm doing this in hopes to raise awareness about food instability, and money for the Greater Boston Food Bank. Should you feel compelled to give to the latter, please click the link below! I thank you, as will those who benefit from the money that you give :)
http://www.crowdrise.com/SNAPchallenge0113/ 

1 comment: