Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The First Time I...Felt Like I Belonged.


Hello, and welcome to my blog! I wish I could say that this was the first time I wrote a blog; that'd be fitting. But it's not- for an archive of my ridiculousness, please visit http://hooray-florida.blogspot.com. Who knows, maybe I'll update that one every now and again?

But at this point in my life, this is the right blog for me. Starting a new life in Tallahassee as the Assistant Director for Student Activities at Florida State University has been a series of firsts for me. So many, in fact, that I've decided to reflect on them a little bit more. I hope you enjoy what I have to say!

The First Time I Felt Like I Belonged.

Today, I got my FSU ID activated. This seems like a simple act, but it has been a struggle of trying to get paperwork submitted to human resources, and to get access to files that would allow me to learn more about my office. It's gone slowly, from having an ID card that could open my office, to getting keys to the club and the closets, to a temporary ID so I could use my computer.

But in getting into the computer system, being able to set up my Outlook and having my own place to set up files, I feel as though my boss said it best: "Oh, so now you work here!" It was a small measure that really does make me feel more like I really work there. First, the search committee accepted me. Next came the people, who have been absolutely amazing in my transition. And now, the computer has accepted me. Thanks computer, happy to be here :)

I feel like a new person here! I can be someone who is very much the same as who I was just a few weeks ago. I'm still the same silly, sporty, fun and food-obsessed girl that moved up to Tallahassee. But now, things are different. I get to be consistently fashionable here! I have short hair! (See the picture at the top). I'm good at sports! I can't wait to see what else I learn about myself as I take these opportunities to still be me, but be the best version of myself as I can.

1 comment:

  1. A new beginning is sometimes just what the doctor ordered! You can explore all of the facets of yourself that slip under the radar or that get ignored when you're around people who have known you for a while.

    I can't think of anyone who more deserves this opportunity! Welcome to the #nole family! Does this mean you're going to root for FSU with me during the big rivalry game in the fall?! I need backup here in Gainesville man.

    ReplyDelete