Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oh, SNAP! Introducing SNAP Challenge 2013

About 6 months ago, I reached out to my friends and family and asked them to support a cause I am extremely supportive of, combating food insecurity in America. I was so lucky to have many friends, colleagues and supporters donate over $500 to Run 10 Feed 10, and I thank you all for that.

I want to do more to advance the cause of fighting food insecurity this year, but I wondered: how?

The answer came in the form of a challenge embarked upon by Newark Mayor Cory Booker. 

The full story can be found here, but the bottom line is this: troubled by the concerns brought to him about so many Newark residents unable to be certain where their next meal was coming from, he spent a week living on the cash equivalent of food stamps: $29.73. Although it was only seven days, his struggle was apparent. He spoke openly about his struggles wasting food, living without his daily cup of coffee, and his hunger. 


This is not what I'll be eating, Scout's honor!
He has inspired me to do the same, this time for a month. For the month of January, I will be living on the cash equivalent of food stamps: $29.73 a week. As someone who food shops recreationally, who thinks nothing of buying food if I can't find any, and as someone who has dietary restrictions that sometimes make shopping expensive, I'm prepared to live the lifestyle of someone far less fortunate for a while.

There will be challenges, to be sure. I'll be in training for a half marathon during the month; my sister will be with me for part of it, causing me to feed 2 people on that amount; and there is a high likelihood that we will have a staff cook-off during the month, which I will prepare food for. This will not be an easy undertaking, but I'm ready to take it on.

How can you help? As with my last endeavor, I will be raising money on Crowdrise, and the link can be found here:

http://www.crowdrise.com/SNAPchallenge0113/

The proceeds of this experiment of mine (which will be chronicled on this blog) will go toward the Greater Boston Food Bank, to help them supplement the meager and often uncertain lifestyle of many Boston residents. 

I speak a lot about caring for those who don't have enough to eat, for those who struggle to provide food on a consistent basis. But I've been lucky enough to not know what that feels like. I'd like to take time learning about how it feels so that I can truly appreciate all that I have. And I truly hope that you'll help me raise some money in the process :)

Stay tuned over the next six weeks to see my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment