Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How to Succeed In Business Without Really Meaning To

A few days ago, I finally broke down and subscribed to the Harvard Business Review Blog Network. Faced with a dialog box restricting my access to yet another article of theirs I was itching to read, and realizing I could (a) make a commitment and join or (b) use the loophole I discovered and attempt to read a full article around said box, I chose the route of commitment and now have access to the network and a variety of other publications.

I consider myself to be a lifelong learner, and have used a summer without Internet at home (a commitment that I plan to stick to this fall) to read, and read EVERYTHING. Not just pleasure books, and not just student affairs books, but really expanding my scope to more literature that can make me better. And I'm finding that more and more business books and publications are speaking to me and how I want to do my work.

I always thought that I chose to work in higher education to avoid the trappings of business. But more and more, those two worlds are starting to collide. As such, I've gotten so much from the time I take to read articles and books from an area outside my own. Venturing outside that "echo chamber" we sometimes find ourselves in. Moreover, I've realized that the links I choose to click, or the pages I choose to turn, are fueled by what I want to make better, or a desire to effective change in my environment. Some great finds that you may want to check out:

Emotional Contagion Can Take Down Your Whole Team (the link that forced me to subscribe)

If You Don't Prioritize Your Life, Someone Else Will

The Best Strategy for Reducing Stress

Less Confident People Are More Successful


10 Habits of Remarkably Charismatic People

What is serving as your unlikely inspiration these days? What sources are informing how you work and live?

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment