So I'm drawing up a list of fashion commandments for our students, to help them be more presentable at formal events. Please, feel free to contribute as you see fit, covering any ground I may have missed.
- Thou shalt not treat the following as a formal shoe: flat sandals, ballet flats, platform heels, or boat shoes.
- Thou shalt ensure that bra straps are appropriate for the outfit, or otherwise hidden with a shawl or cardigan.
- Gentlemen: thou shalt not consider a blazer and chinos an acceptable substitute for a suit. They are not the same.
- Ladies: thou shalt not consider club wear an acceptable substitute for formal event wear. They are not the same.
- Thou shalt wear a properly fitting shoe- no toes poking out and over, no shoes that won't stay on.
- Thou shalt ensure that dresses or skirts are of a fingertip length, lest we look like streetwalkers at a formal gathering.
- Thou shalt wear dress socks with dress shoes, or no socks. Athletic socks with a loafer or lace up fancy shoe is horrifying.