Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I Rocked It!

Working on another #reverbbroads11 post. I like this one!

Today's #ReverbBroads11 prompt: What are three things you are better at than most people? via Catie at catiecake.wordpress.com


(1) I am an excellent editor. This is one of my favorite times of year. Finals mean final papers. And I love editing. Punctuation, flow, especially spelling (2 time regional spelling contestant!)- that's my bag. I have been given a gift of being able to sniff out clarity in writing, and I like to use it to help others if they'll let me. Granted, it makes me very sensitive to when things are written poorly, but I like to look at it from the side of good.
Ever need a paper edited? I'm your girl!

(2) I'm a good listener. One of the best examples of this, for me, came at Space Camp in the summer between seventh and eighth grade. My camp counselor Shaun shouted above the ambient noise in the cafeteria on our final morning, "So, I forgot to pick the Camper of the Week this week. Who wants to be it?" I raised my hand. Four hours later, I was Camper of the Week for the whole camp. Why? I was the only one that heard him.
When people speak, I listen. I don't take notes, I don't pull out my phone, I pay attention. I do my best to affirm what they're saying and show them that I'm with them. And I do my very best to offer advice only if asked. If you've got something to say, I promise I will listen.

(3) Tetris. This is a nearly useless talent. For some reason, ever since I was little, I've been able to play for hours. Literally hours. In high school, I used to split the screen on my parents' TV and play while I was watching movies. But I'm learning now there's a benefit to me being so good at such a positively primitive game: it calms me down. Tetris has been proven to have a significant calming quality on people with anxiety. It occupies the part of your brain that ruminates (circles thoughts, a big issue for those suffering from anxiety). No wonder I can't think about much else while I'm playing! So I'm happy to be good at something that also has proven to help me immensely. And if I'm playing Tetris at work or while I'm supposed to be completing something important...give me that time. It's essential to me getting to a point where I can work.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Reading: I've always been an inexplicably fast reader.
  • Memory: I remember what I read, too. Often I also remember where I read it. It's straight up weird.
  • Wordplay: I love a good pun. And I love when I make a good pun without realizing it.
  • Trivia: It goes along with memory.
  • Flavor Profiles: Need to know what spice is in something? I can probably tell you.
  • Handwriting: I can't explain this one. I really can't.

What are you good at? Go ahead and brag about it :)

2 comments:

  1. Such great talents. Gosh, I would have majored in spelling if that were an option. I LOVE spelling! Such a nerd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Tetris talent -- I think it could come to use one day! :) I also really enjoy that you came up with an Honorable Mentions list. Love it!

    ReplyDelete