Friday, August 26, 2011

I Catalogued My "Smile-Makers"

Inspired by a blog post from Becca Obergfell, I wanted to share some of the things that make me smile. Particularly in times of year that are busiest, it's good to remember what makes us happy, what carries us away from stress, and what else we love besides our work :) I encourage you to take a few minutes, maybe in the infrequent quiet moments of late August, to do the same.

  1. This scene from An American in Paris. If love at first sight could be captured in dance, this would be it.
  2. Waking up to a particularly good text message from a friend or my family. I turn my phone off before I go to bed, so it's a complete surprise.
  3. Hearing a great song on the radio on the way to work.
  4. That slight ringing in my ears after a fun concert.
  5. Fall weather. It's a rarity in FL, so anytime I feel it, I love it.
  6. Any and all things Disney (of course!).
  7. Watching small children who can't read, appear to be reading.
  8. Related: small children in really fluffy winter coats, or in tiny sports wear (baby sized jerseys).
  9. As millennial of me as it is to say, when I'm retweeted. I write whatever pops in my head, and it blows my mind whenever someone finds enough meaning in what I say to publicly post it.
  10. A particularly good first kiss :)
  11. Being able to share something I've learned that day in a conversation with someone.
  12. Realizing I love a song on a first listen.
  13. Baby animals. Puppies, kittens, pandas, and this video.
  14. Getting a new haircut.
  15. A really great run.
  16. Mail from a friend. Cards, gifts, letters...snail mail is underrated, and always a welcome find in my mailbox!
  17. Finishing a favorite book, no matter how many times I've read it.
  18. Realizing that a student really "gets" something we're working on, or has learned something from an event or conversation that we've had.
  19. Compliments. I never fish for them, and am always taken aback and blown away when someone gives me one.
  20. Thanks to Jeff Parker, this noise.
So, what makes you smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment